The APA's Division on Publications and Research has charge of all of the Association's activities in fostering scholarly research and the development of materials for research and publication.
For over a century, the APA has produced several series of scholarly books and texts and its journal, Transactions of the American Philological Association (TAPA). Click through the links below to learn more about the APA's publications.
- Monograph Publications
- Textbooks and Resources
- Amphora, sponsored by the Committee on Outreach
- APA Newsletter
- Presidential Talks delivered at Annual Meetings
The APA Office also produces a number of publications, including:
- The Graduate Guide: a handbook of information on graduate programs in Classics
- First Three African American Members of the APA
- Careers for Classicists
- Teaching the Classical Tradition
- Programs and Abstracts for the Joint Annual Meeting
Download the order form (pdf) to purchase these publications.
The Publications and Research Division currently manages four major projects:
- the American Office of L’Année philologique, the essential bibliographical resource in classics. The online version of L’Année contains data produced by the APA’s Database of Classical Bibliography project.
- the selection of the postdoctoral fellow that the APA sends each year, thanks to funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities, to the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae in Munich, the world's most detailed lexicographical project on classical Latin.
- the archive of performances of classical works
- the Digital Latin Library Project
The Division also collaborates with other major projects in classics that are not managed by the APA:
- the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, the comprehensive database of ancient and Byzantine Greek
- the Ancient World Mapping Center (AWMC), which promotes cartography, historical geography and geographic information science as essential disciplines within the field of ancient studies. The AWMC is carrying on the work begun with the publication of the Barrington Atlas of the Ancient World which was sponsored by the APA.
The Division’s Committee on Research monitors the resources available to scholars conducting research in classics and encourages the development of new tools when it identifies needs and opportunities.
Last modified on September 01, 2013